Audience: Years 3-7
Submitted by: Cheryl Bridge
Students are asked to reflect on their own cultural values before comparing a common daily practice displayed in the text with their own daily practices, using images in the text of Australian & Moroccan cultures.
- Read ‘Mirror’ by Jeannie Baker. Picture talk to develop comprehension of the text.
- Create a story map for each of the parallel narratives contained in the book
- QRR activity based on one parallel theme in the book. (QRR template can be found in the strategies section of this website)
- Students record their core values on yellow post it notes and place anywhere on the walls. Teacher observes values recorded and creates subheadings on pink post it notes which are placed around the room. Students are asked to move any yellow post it notes to appropriate subheadings, with respect. Students reflect on their own cultural identity & the shared values with others.
- Discuss the idea of culture in every day life and how children learn their beliefs: family, friends, teachers, media