Audience: Years 5-8
Submitted by: Brana Stanisavljevic and Maria-Teresa Tassone
Students watch a video about the Serbian celebration Slava, and discuss various aspects of the celebration.
Pre-video (class discussion)
- What do you already know about Slava?
- What are you expecting to see?
- What are your impressions of Slava?
- What new information have you learned about the celebration?
- Did you find anything surprising?
- If you celebrate Slava, how were celebrations in the video similar to what your family does? Were there any differences.
- Choose an important celebration in your family, e.g. Mother’s Day, Diwali, Name Day.
- What similarities exist between your chosen celebration and Slava? Why do you think these similarities exist? Use a Venn diagram to help organise your thoughts.
- How do you feel about your chosen celebration? What is your favourite aspect? Explain its importance to you. Is it important to other people in your family?
- Has the celebration changed over time, even within your own family? If yes, why do you think it has changed?