Audience: Early Stage 1 and Stage 1
Submitted by: Carolyn Mofardin
In this book, by Alison Lester, each child likes to do everything in their own way, whether it's work, taking a bath, playing, or going to sleep.
This book fits well into the unit "This is Me".
1. Before reading the book, ask students:
- How are we different to each other?
- What would our world be like if we were all the same?
- What is special about being different?
- To work in a job you like.
- To live in a home you love.
- To enjoy your favourite foods.
- To have fun.
- To design our very own house or garden.
- To have pets.
- To live life.
3. Follow-up activity
- Provide each student with a BLANK cardboard cutout of a child, and a shoe box.
- Over a series of lessons, students create a picture of their future. They can colour the cardboard cutout to represent what they think they (or their world) will look like. In the shoe box, they can include images or craft creations to represent their predictions about the future. At the end of the unit, they can take their shoe boxes home, to look at later in life!
- These predictions can be displayed side by side in a prominent area of classroom so students can celebrate all possibilities and opportunities.